RockStarMom Recommends is a featured round-up series of products, projects, or places to be I discover on my own, or ones that were sent to me via sponsorship or media opportunity. I will always let you know which is which, and I will only feature topics I would or have bought, participated in or travelled to myself.
This week’s RockStarMom Recommends is brought to you by the magic of the Disney Social Media Moms 2014 Celebration, held in Anaheim, California April 10-13th. As you know, I attended the conference and received several gifts from the many wonderful sponsors from the event. Additionally, there were some really great new programs Disney is launching that I also wanted to share. Click on the links to learn more about products or programs from the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration sponsors.
1. Disney Animator’s Collection “it’s a small world” Dolls | Everyone has a favorite doll, probably located in their favorite country. Mine are the hula dancers from Hawaii, and the can-can dancers from France. If you are an avid Disney, and It’s a Small World fan, you most likely know this year marks the 50th anniversary of the ride created by Disney as an exhibit meant to benefit UNICEF at the 1964-65 New York’s World Fair. You can share your love for the ride with your family, or just keep it all to yourself by bringing home one of these adorable and authentic re-creations of the dolls from the ride. Personally, I love how the dolls inspire the excitement of travel, the intrigue of different cultures and benefit of children around the world. The dolls sing the legendary song in English, and then in their native language. (Don’t worry, there is an on/off switch.) Retails for $29.95. disneystore.com
2. Hanes Girls No Comfort Blend Socks | Way before I was gifted some of these funky fabulous socks, I was already buying them for my daughter. I love that they are cotton and colorful. She loves to mix and match (who knew mismatched socks were a thing?) and wears them with everything from her tennis shoes, to her jazz dance shoes to her TOMS. They are a blend of cotton/polyester/natural latex rubber/spandex, and do not irritate my little girl’s sensitive skin. They wash well, are easy to match up assuming the dryer doesn’t eat one, and come with Box Tops to boot. (Just for the record, I also buy these for all three of my boys. Best. Socks. Ever.) Retails $8.50 for a package of 6 pairs. hanes.com
3. Disney Magic of Healthy Living TRYIt! | This is truly a healthy active lifestyle program I can really stand behind. My TV is tuned into Disney Jr. more hours in the day than I would like to admit. Because of that, my kids are actually trying new things. They wanted to try acting because some of their favorite actors star in their favorite shows on the Disney Channel. They wanted to try peppers because Sheriff Callie and her gang sing about it. They get up and dance to the DJ Shuffle. Even mom has tried various recipes and photog tips given throughout the day. We are big fans of the new healthy living initiative Disney has inspired in our house. It is also so great to see some of these things in action around the park, especially in the selection of healthier food options, like Foodles; a variety of fruits, veggies, yogurts, cheese, granola or pretzels in a easy to grab-n-go container. My kids take these in their lunches or as afternoon snacks, which helps them select these healthier choices when at the Disney parks. Learn more at citizenship.disney.com/tryit or use #TryIt on Instagram or Twitter.
4. h2o+ Face Oasis™ CC Cream | Last year was my first experience with the h2o+ products at the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration 2013. Fell in love with the products, and have been pining over them ever since. This little beauty secret was in my Room Drop Surprise Bag one night. I am not a huge fan of foundations, and I prefer an under eye concealer and powder. But sometimes, it’s just not enough coverage. Sometimes I need to look fresh and even, not blotchy. The Face Oasis™ CC Cream delivers exactly what I need without cakey looking base. It also has a Broad Spectrum SPF30, goes great over my everyday moisturizer and allows my make-up to go on smooth. I’m in love. Did I mention h20+ is the official Disney® Amenity? Retails at $35. h20plus.com
5. GoGo Squeez | Long before the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration, my refrigerator was stocked full of GoGo Squeez. It’s kind of a futuristic thing I had to get used to when I started feeding my babies mushed up fruit and veggies from a pouch, but it worked, and they loved it. From there, they graduated to more of a big kid version with GoGo Squeez. Which is just alright by me. I love reading things on my kids’ food packaging like: 100% natural, organic, BPA free, No Added Colors or Flavors, and No High-Fructose Corn Syrup. As you can see in the picture, all of my kids are BIG fans- from 10 to 3 years old. GoGo Squeez has expanded their line to include new flavors like AppleGrape and AppleMandarin that my kids now add to my grocery list. Retail prices vary. gogosqueez.com
6. American Tourister© Color Your World 21″ Spinner | American Tourister© is the official luggage of Walt Disney World Resorts and Disneyland Parks, so it would only make sense that we would be given the opportunity to review a piece from their latest line, Color Your World. This is the second piece I’ve had the opportunity to review and add to my luggage collection, and I love them both. Surprisingly accommodating to pack for at least a 3-day vacation, or a convenient use of a carry-on in-flight. Fashionable and functional, I have truly enjoyed adding American Tourister as one of my go-to pieces when traveling. I especially love the inside compartments that keep certain items discreet, and others well organized. Retails for $89.99. shop.americantourister.com
7. New Balance 890v4 Barringer runners | By now, I am sure you heard of the Disney character inspired line that New Balance launched earlier this year, New Balance runDisney. They are so stinking adorable, my faves being the Cinderella, of course. New Balance was awesome enough to provide conference attendees who also participated in the runDisney 2-mile fun run through Downtown Disney, Disneyland and California Adventure a pair of their most popular, in demand runner, and the prototype of what the runDisney collection is based off; the 890v4 Barringer. A chic and modern style, with careful consideration of the foot placement at all speeds, I also found the 890v4 Barringer to be super light as well. I encourage my fellow runners to at least try them on if in the market for a new, top of the line shoe. Retails $109. newbalance.com
8. Disney Junior Give a Book Get a Book Program | “In some of the lowest-income neighborhoods in the United States, there is only one single book for every 300 kids. That is just not OK.,” explained LeVar Burton, of Reading Rainbow fame. Mr. Burton introduced us to the newest program from Disney Citizenship and in partnership with Disney Junior, the Give A Book Get A Book campaign. As a parent, you know the value of storytelling and sharing those magical moments reading to your little one. Imagine being a parent, and not having the capability to provide your child a book to read aloud. Starting April 2014 and running through September 2015, Disney hopes to donate up to one million books to First Book to make storytelling in all neighborhoods around America a reality. They need your help! Visit a Disney Store near you, purchase a book, and receive a code. Then go to GiveABookGetABook.com, enter the code, and select a book to be donated to a region of your choice in the United States.
9. Disney and Kohl’s Magic at Play by Jumping Beans | In April, a collaboration with Disney and Kohl’s, Magic at Play, launched its new line of Disney themed fashions by Jumping Beans for both boys and girls, infants to size 7x. Kohl’s provides quality and style for my party of 4 at an affordable price. I was quite pleased with the options of the new Jumping Beans line for Disney. The spring collection was adorable, and I’m sure the summer collection will be super sassy and fun! Perfect for that upcoming visit to Disneyland this summer. I already see a new dress on there my daughter would love! Retail prices vary. kohls.com
10. Disney Cruise Line Sets Sail to Norwegian Fjords and Iceland | Inspired by the fiercely popular box office smash, Frozen, Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, delighted the crowd with the announcement of a Disney Cruise Line new course for Norway in 2015. How amazing does this description sound: “…guests will discover breathtaking natural wonders such as magnificent mountain ranges, massive glaciers, steaming geysers and majestic fjords. The enchanting Scandinavian culture of the region comes to life through local attractions, stunning architecture, storybook villages and historic city centers.” I’ve not yet been on a Disney Cruise, but I am adding this to my bucket list for sure. Possibly for my 40th birthday (hint*hint)?? Learn more by visiting dclnews.com.
Full Disclosure: I was invited to the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration. The Disneyland Resort offered a discounted rate for all attendees and their families. I was not asked nor expected to write about my experience. All stories are based on my personal thoughts and opinions, not those of the Walt Disney Company.